Week 12 Storylab Microfiction: The Five Senses

100-word story:

The importance of touch is never known until it’s gone. The importance of someone’s laugh, smile, and even cry—what you could give to experience a little a longer.  Our bodies crave hugs but the world says “Hold, please”. The five senses: touch, sight, hearing, smell, and taste have all dulled since the world was put on hold. Will it be scary to sense again? Will I ever hear live music ringing through my ears like I used to? Will I ever taste local cuisine that couldn’t stay afloat? Will I ever smell fresh air without feeling as though I shouldn’t?

6-word story: 


Hugs are the key to humanity. 


Touch: A Fifth Sense (Pixabay)


Author’s Note: I wanted this microfiction to be about the global pandemic. It has been over a year now and things look a lot different now and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I wanted to capture the feeling of taking something so simple like the five senses for granted. The pandemic has changed so many of us and will impact how we live our lives forever. Obviously hugs can’t fix everything, but they sure do make life a little easier when you have them.




Comments

  1. Hi Isha! I loved your 100 word story about the pandemic. It's still hard for me to believe we've really lived through something like this, and I completely related to those questions. I think for a long time I will feel wary or weird when not wearing a mask, once we get to that point. You really captured all of our feelings very well in both of these microfictions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Isha, I've read quite a few of your stories but this one was so powerful with so few words. You really described how it has felt during this pandemic, and how emotions and senses have dulled so much since we cannot interact with each other. I had never thought of the pandemic as a situation to dull the senses, but that is truly what is going on. I miss my grandma's hugs and the smell of sandy water from beaches. I loved this short story so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts