Week 9 Story: The Dice Game

 My brothers and I despised our cousins, and they despised us. It is just because our family likes my brothers and me more than Drew and his brothers. Drew is the oldest cousin of my uncle. He is always the instigator and constantly trying to belittle us. We can usually handle ourselves because of our second oldest brother, Brandon. He always stands up for us and is the first one to fight our cousins whenever needed. 

Our oldest brother, Yuri, loves competition. He loves finding his way through challenges in anything and is confident he is going to emerge victorious every time. He is always calm and collected and makes logical decisions. However, on one fateful day, we had the rug pulled from under us. Yuri challenged one of our cousins to a dice game. We were all confident that Yuri was going to win, so he bet our most prized video game console along with all the games that we had. The match started off strong for us, but things took a turn. 

"You are no match for me, Drew" Yuri exclaimed to our cousin. 

Drew seemed a little too smug and calmly shrugged. 

"We will see when I will be playing games all day and night while all of you guys will staring at walls, dying of boredom" Drew pointed at us. 

It seemed like that affected Yuri greatly, as the worst decision any of us could make happened. In his pent-up anger, Yuri threw the match, and we lost by a slim margin.

None of us could believe it, not even our cousins. Drew had a shocked look on his face, but it was quickly replaced with a victorious smirk. 

"Have fun staring at walls, cousins" Drew coolly stated. 

After the day we lost everything, we all went dark and it has never been the same since. Yuri has been beating himself up over this loss and has nonstop been practicing dice games. He will win everything back for us, I know it. 

Shakuni and the dice game (Wikimedia)

Author's Note: I wanted to make a more youthful story about the Pandavas vs. the Kauravas. I chose to write about the specific story where Yudhishthira lost in the gambling match and lost Draupadi in the process. I changed Draupadi to video games and the names of the characters. When I was reading that story in the Mahabharata, I felt like Draupadi was treated like an object, so I wanted to display that in my story in a more literal sense. 

Bibliography: Reading Guide: Kincaid. Mahabharata - The Princes of Elephant City: Part A 

Comments

  1. Hello Isha!
    I enjoyed reading your story and seeing the different connections you made to the original. You made the story easy to follow by giving the characters names that were similar to the originals, which I liked. After reading your authors note I became intrigued with your idea to make Draupadi into an object because I too thought that she had been treated like one in this story. Overall great story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts