Week 7 Story: The Obsession

 Journal Entry #1: September 3rd

I was mesmerized when I saw her. Lia is the most beautiful person I have ever seen. My sister is friends with her, and I think I will be able to convince her to let me hang out with them. God, I want to see her again so badly. My sister loves me, so I really think she would let me see her more often.

Journal Entry #2: September 17th

I think I am becoming more and more infatuated with Lia every day. My sister lets me hang out with them, but I think Lia is becoming shyer towards me. I don't know why because I give her compliments and tell her I love her all the time. What girl doesn't want that?

Journal Entry #3: September 30th 

I have had the worst day ever. Lia told me that she had a boyfriend, and to stay away from her. I am not worried though. I can handle her boyfriend any day, and she will see that I am the better man for her. One day she will realize that my love for her is so much better than anything she could get out of her pathetic boyfriend. 

Journal Entry #4: October 5th

I knew she would come back to me. She told me she broke up with her boyfriend because he could not love her properly. Finally, I am one step closer to being with my true love. I think she is realizing we are meant to be because she invited me to her house party this weekend! I think I will ask her out then. 

Journal Entry #5: October 9th

I do not know what I did to deserve this. Everything was a trap. Lia and her boyfriend never broke up, and there was never a party. When I showed up, everything was dark and empty. When I was trying to find Lia, her boyfriend jumped out and started beating me up and demanding that I stay away from her. I feel so betrayed by her, yet I still love her just the same. 


Dark Hallway (Flickr)

Author's Note: I was inspired to recreate my own version of Kichaka's obsession with Draupadi. He was the brother of Queen Sudeshna and became obsessed with Draupadi. Draupadi would warn him of her husbands but he did not care. She asked for protection, but no one listened to her until one of her husbands, Bhima, promised to protect her. I modernized the story in the form of journal entries from the male perspective and made it more of a teenage obsession that the original story reminded me of. I also changed the original ending where Kichaka dies from Bhima to him getting beat up by Lia's boyfriend. 

Bibliography: Tiny Tales from the Mahabharata Part C: Page 11 by Laura Gibbs



Comments

  1. Hi Isha!

    This is such a creative way to format a story and I enjoy how segmented it was in order to further the plot! I think you did an excellent job of modernizing the story in a relatable way, but also making it from the point of view of someone we might not necessarily want to relate to. You made the story more palatable and less violent as well which is always nice. I liked your perspective and I think you did a really nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Isha,

    I also thought this was such a creative way to format your story. It was not only interesting, but was something that I have not seen been done yet in this class. I like how you put your own spin on this story while still keeping the same overall plot. The picture you used was perfect to describe the dark, weird obsession with Draupdi. I think you did a wonderful job, and am curious to see what you write in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Isha, I love your retelling of this part of The Mahabharata! I think you have translated Kichaka’s obsession with Draupadi so well in your retelling of the original story, while still maintaining your retelling as something different. The creepiest part of the story for me is when the main character ends his last entry with “I still love her just the same.” Even with her very emphatic no, he can’t let go of the idea of Lia.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts