Week 6 Storylab Microfiction: The Sun and Moon Are In Love

100-word story:

 I didn’t plan on him, but I sure don’t mind it. In a time full of "I don't know" and "I can't", he is my one certainty and my one strength. A lot of things bring me comfort, but the biggest one is knowing we look up to the same moon. I am forever content with being loved by him. I still remember those seven pink tulips and thinking how nobody has ever given me flowers. Then again, nobody has seen my soul like he has. I don’t need the sun, for looking at him brings me enough warmth. 

6-word story: 

Tulips bloomed, and so did I. 


National Olympic Forest (photo taken by me)

Author's note: I incorporated some personal aspects of my relationship in my microfictions, but while writing I was mainly reminded of Rama and Sita. While Sita was kidnapped and separated from Rama, I could imagine how much she missed him, and how she had time to reflect on her love for him. She was loyal to him for the duration of her life, and his love was a large majority of her strength in overcoming her obstacles. Anyone separated from their lover would find joy and comfort in shared things, no matter how substantial or infinitesimal.

Comments

  1. Hi Isha, you did a great job with these short stories! I could definitely feel the emotions of the narrator in the first story and how she was in love with someone even though she didn't plan for it to originally happen, yet now she is sure he is her true love. The six word story was equally as impressive since you were able to convey the path of the narrator's emotion through the use of blooming flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Isha, what a moving and poignant pair of microfiction! Being in a long-distance relationship during quarantine last year was difficult, but it was joy in shared memories and hobbies that kept us strong. I felt those same emotions in these two stories. I can also see this story through Sita's eyes as she waits for Rama. Masterful job tying such universal emotions into your microfictions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi isha! I really enjoyed reading your story. I liked how you incorporated personal aspects and feelings into your writing that was inspired by Rama and Sita. I find writing to be more moving and beautiful when people are inspired from things within their own life. I also think it can be hard to be open about personal feelings, so thank you for sharing such a beautiful short story. keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Isha!
    Both of these are incredibly well written and it's clear that there are strong feelings behind them. I'm impressed by your six word story. It's hard to convey something meaningful in such few words. I have read a lot of people's microfictions lately and the super short ones are typically not as impactful as the longer form stories, but I think you managed to pull it off really well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts