Feedback Strategies

I found Gravity Goldberg's article "Be a Mirror: Give Readers Feedback That Fosters a Growth Mindset" to be really useful. Her steps on how to give feedback really made me think about how I want to give and receive feedback. One of the qualities of feedback she mentioned that resonated with me is to "focus on what the reader is doing (not on what is missing). She mentions it in this way because there is nothing to gain from focusing on missing qualities. I realized that a majority of the times where my teachers focused their feedback on what was missing, I wouldn't really gain anything from their comments. It was mainly due to the feedback not being specific enough how the ways I should try to gain what is missing, nor would they check back again to see if there was any improvement.

The second article I found interesting was "Why Do So Many Managers Avoid Giving Praise?" by Jack Zenger. I think this article touched on a really important aspect of why people could dislike their job. It is always important to give both positive and negative feedback, because it makes the feedback more personal and effective. Managers that give both positive feedback and negative feedback create a healthy environment between the workers, while also encouraging growth. If a manager only gives negative feedback without focusing on what a worker is doing good in, it is obvious the worker will begin to resent the job. 




Comments

Popular Posts