Growth Mindset

 As a psychology major, I did learn about Carol Dweck and growth-fixed mindsets. In the aspect of schooling, I would love to have a growth mindset, however I lean more on having a fixed mindset. I do work on having a growth mindset and knowing that it is more detrimental to be focused on the outcome of grades rather than learning. The transition from learning in high school versus learning in college has similarities and differences. Both high school and college is similar as I am working towards a specific goal. However, I had a much more fixed mindset in high school because I was so focused on my grades in order to graduate and get accepted into college. In college, I have allowed myself to explore more and enjoy the experience of learning as one is supposed to. I am looking forward to applying growth mindset in this class and others this semester. The class I am most worried for is Organic Chemistry which would be the most difficult to have a growth mindset for. 

The critiques of Carol Dweck all had a common point of the American schooling system being the root cause of a student's education rather than the student's mindset itself. People tend to focus more on the student's learning ability than fixing how a student's education is administered. Alfie Kohn made an important point on his critique when saying there can't be any changes to mindsets without changes to the education itself.




Comments

Popular Posts